FordFusionClub.com banner

Focus ST

14K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  khris72 
#1 ·
My rental car for a day last week was a brand new Focus ST. It only had 41 miles on it when I checked it out. I had an hour and a half drive each way from the airport to my assignment so I had a reasonable amount of time with it. I would love to have it on a track instead of city streets and interstates. My first impression wasn't all that great, but as the engine began to loosen up it really came to life.

It is a torque steer monster, part of the fun of a lot of power going through the front wheels.

The power is strong throughout the rpm range. No hint at all of turbo lag. Downshifting for passing not needed, plenty of power without working hard to get it.

Six speed manual shifts nice enough but it does seem to be a bit stiff. Not bad though, just firm.

Additional gauges on the top of the dash for boost, engine temperature, and oil pressure. A nice touch. Waste gate seems to be set at 15 lbs boost.

Seating is comfortable with good lateral support.

I never needed to attempt a panic stop, but the brakes seemed very healthy. It appears that the front rotors are larger than a basic focus.

The one fly in the ointment for me is the extremely firm suspension. That would be enough for me to not want the car as a daily driver. Everything else was both entertaining and enjoyable.

I was very pleasantly surprised to have it as a rental. It was nearly as much fun as the 5.0 Mustang I had about a year ago.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sweet I totally agree, I took one out for a test drive and I gotta say it was a super fun car. I think I could live with the stiff suspension as a DD but I can understand how it's not for everyone.

The brakes are amazing, apparently they're easy to cook on a track day so if tracking the car pads and fluid would go a long way.

Overall great car, lots of power, great suspension, fun to drive and a proper manual.

#3 ·
Had a newly retired 'snow bird' come into my store the other day driving one. Not a big fan of Ford's choice of colors, but not bad to look at. Said he was getting used to the trans; hadn't driven a stick in years! Told him he should let me take it for a spin; long dead silence...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.